THE RICHMOND RACE CUP: AN IMPORTANT GEORGE III SILVER GILT HORSE RACING TROPHY by Paul Storr, London 1802, of campana form, the pull-off domed cover with fluted bud finial and engraved with a retailers mark of Makepeace, Fecit, leaf capped angular handles, the upper section engraved and chased with a frieze one side depicting two galloping racehorses, the other a racehorse being fed outside a stable, one side engraved "Charles Brandling and Timothy Hutton, Esqrs Stewards". The other side engraved "Richmond. 1802.". Each side applied with a vacant wreath cartouche and each side applied with a circular boss, one reading "Sigillum Burgtti Richmond II", part fluted lower section, the whole on a circular pedestal foot with a stiff leaf border, contained in a leather covered wooden carrying case with velvet interior, brass escutcheon and carrying handle, the interior applied with a retailers label for "Robert Makepeace, Goldsmith & Jewellery, Serle Street, Lincolns Inn Fields", 46.5cm high x 31.5cm high, (c.124.1oz)
In 1757 Robert Adam was commissioned by Thomas Dundas to design a new trophy for the Richmond "Gold Cup" horse race. In the 18th century, the course in North Yorkshire became one of the biggest and most celebrated attractions in the racing calendar with a prize of 100 guineas or more. This large "double gilt" cup was - by tradition - paid for by general subscription and the worthy gentleman of the town with the silversmith being ordered to "make the best cup he can for 100 guineas". The cup would generally weigh one hundred ounces or more. Subsequent cups were based on Adam"s original design and in the hands of the most eminent silversmiths, they evolved over the decades. This example is engraved on the rim "Richmond 1802" and also engraved with the names of the stewards, Charles Brandling and Timothy Hutton. In addition, it is engraved "MAKEPEACE, FECIT" on the rim of the lid. This fine and historic trophy comes with its original transit case and retains the retailers label for "Robt Makepeace, Goldsmith and Jeweller, Serle Street, Lincolns Inn Fields".
Whilst there are few records available for the list of previous recorded winners of the "Gold Cup" the family can offer two possibilities. The first is that it was won by Robert Edward Petre, 10th Baron Petre (1763-1809) in 1802. His second wife Mary Bridget Howard was the sister of the 12th Duke of Norfolk. The cup would have then passed by descent to the Stapleton-Bretherton"s via his granddaughter Isabella Petre and her marriage to Frederick Stapleton-Bretherton in 1869. Isabella bore thirteen children, but the family"s lineage was sadly disrupted by the death of the male heirs during the Boer War and World War I. Although the Stapleton-Bretherton name is no more, the cup has passed down the female line to its present owner. The second, and most likely, is that it came into the family through Mary Stapleton-Bretherton"s second husband, Gilbert Stapleton, (1808 - 1856) who along with his brother Miles Thomas Stapleton, the 8th Baron Beaumont (1805-1854) came from a family dedicated to horse racing. In fact, they were very successful in the horse racing world, and it is possible that their father Thomas Stapleton (1778 - 1835) could have won this cup, when he was just 24 years old. The family also had close ties in the racing world with Sir Thomas Gascoigne, 8th Baronet (7 March 1745 - 11 February 1810) who together with an earlier relation Sir Thomas Stapleton (1721-1781) enjoyed many successes with a grey mare called Hollandoise, winning both the "St Ledger" in 1778 and the "Kings Cup" in 1781. Gascoigne like Stapleton was committed to horse racing and the breeding of race horses at his stud at Parlington in Yorkshire
Sold For £20000.00 In The Winter Fine Art - Sale Date 24th January 2019
Hover over the image and Zoom with your mouse wheel or use Pinch/Pull on a phone or tablet to zoom and view detail