A PAIR OF LATE GEORGE II MAHOGANY SIDE CHAIRS, circa 1755, in the manner of William Vile, with rectangular padded backs and seats, on panelled and chamfered front legs incised with diaper work and carved with flowers and acanthus foliage, with pierced "Chinese" corner brackets and terminating in guttae feet, 23.5" wide (2) These chairs may be compared to the celebrated suite of furniture supplied to St Giles House, Wimborne St Giles, Dorset for the Earl of Shaftesbury. This was originally attributed to Thomas Chippendale, but is now generally accepted as the work of William Vile or the so-called "St. Martins Lane Syndicate" Provenance: According to old references made for Captain Townsend MP, for Raynham Hall, Norfolk. Literature: "Chippendale Furniture", by Anthony Coleridge, published London 1968, plate 203, page 194.
Sold For £28000.00 In The Athelhampton House - An Auction on the Premises - Sale Date 9th October 2019
Hover over the image and Zoom with your mouse wheel or use Pinch/Pull on a phone or tablet to zoom and view detail